Warming Yandara Chai Recipe
Nicolina Sandstedt, Yandara Lead Trainer
Leaves are falling outside and autumn days like these call for time curled up in the sofa under a cozy blanket with a warm cup of tea… Masala Chai is a traditional Indian tea, perfect for chilly days. Find our favourite warming chai tea recipe here! Chai simply means ‘tea’ and masala is a mixture of spices. Masala Chai is made by simmering the tea with spices and milk. This creates a rich and creamy warm drink that makes your whole house smell like heaven!
Masala chai is traditionally made with a full bodied black tea, but can also be made without tea leaves for a decaffeinated version.
WARMING MASALA CHAI RECIPE
The spices can be varied according to your preference:
- 2-3 cups Water
- 3-4 Black tea bags or 2-3 tbsp tea leaves
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 8-10 Cloves
- 8-10 Green Cardamom pods
- 4-5 Black Peppercorns
- 2 Star Anise
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 0.5-1 inches Fresh ginger root
- Sweetener (eg. brown sugar/maple syrup/liquorice root)
- 2 cups Milk (any milk or milk substitute that you love)
Whole spices are preferred as they can easily be strained out at the end. For a faster version, you can grind the spices and make a masala chai powder.
STEP BY STEP
- Place a saucepan with water over high heat. Add the whole spices while the water is coming to a boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 15 min or more. Pause and enjoy the amazing scents that fill your house.
- Throw in the tea bags (or leaves) and let simmer for another 5 min.
- Add milk and any sweetener. Increase the heat and once it comes to a boil, lower the heat again and allow it to simmer for another 5 minutes or so.
- Raise the heat to high and allow it to come to a rolling boil for about a minute.
- Pour into cups through a strainer.
If the color is not deep enough or the chai is not strong enough, feel free to add more tea bags/leaves. The color of a nice and strong cup of masala chai looks like approximately like a standard cafe latte.
Like with any drink, have fun and experiment with the recipe to find your perfect cup of Masala Chai.
Chai = Tea
Masala = a mixture of spices.
Masala Chai is made by simmering tea with spices and milk.