Tag: Yogi Tea
Warming Yandara Chai Recipe
Nicolina Sandstedt, Yandara Lead Trainer
Leaves are falling outside and autumn days like these call for time curled up in the sofa under a cozy blanket with a warm cup of tea… Masala Chai is a traditional Indian tea, perfect for chilly days. Find our favourite warming chai tea recipe here! Chai simply means ‘tea’ and masala is a mixture of spices. Masala Chai is made by simmering the tea with spices and milk. This creates a rich and creamy warm drink that makes your whole house smell like heaven!
Masala chai is traditionally made with a full bodied black tea, but can also be made without tea leaves for a decaffeinated version.
WARMING MASALA CHAI RECIPE
The spices can be varied according to your preference:
- 2-3 cups Water
- 3-4 Black tea bags or 2-3 tbsp tea leaves
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 8-10 Cloves
- 8-10 Green Cardamom pods
- 4-5 Black Peppercorns
- 2 Star Anise
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 0.5-1 inches Fresh ginger root
- Sweetener (eg. brown sugar/maple syrup/liquorice root)
- 2 cups Milk (any milk or milk substitute that you love)
Whole spices are preferred as they can easily be strained out at the end. For a faster version, you can grind the spices and make a masala chai powder.
STEP BY STEP
- Place a saucepan with water over high heat. Add the whole spices while the water is coming to a boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 15 min or more. Pause and enjoy the amazing scents that fill your house.
- Throw in the tea bags (or leaves) and let simmer for another 5 min.
- Add milk and any sweetener. Increase the heat and once it comes to a boil, lower the heat again and allow it to simmer for another 5 minutes or so.
- Raise the heat to high and allow it to come to a rolling boil for about a minute.
- Pour into cups through a strainer.
If the color is not deep enough or the chai is not strong enough, feel free to add more tea bags/leaves. The color of a nice and strong cup of masala chai looks like approximately like a standard cafe latte.
Like with any drink, have fun and experiment with the recipe to find your perfect cup of Masala Chai.
Chai = Tea
Masala = a mixture of spices.
Masala Chai is made by simmering tea with spices and milk.
If you get tired of the northern autumn weather, please come join us in the bright and sunny Baja desert for a YTT program or retreat.